Saturday, October 9, 2010

Growing up . . .


As I have a little time tonight to think about my baby turning two tomorrow, I am filled with a lot of different emotions. The past two years have been great ones for our family as a whole. I think it took until I had my fifth baby for me to let go of the little things enough to love my children more completely. By then I had seen how quickly time flies in the lives of these little ones, how stages really do come and go, and how love gets you further than frustration. I am in no way a perfect mother, but I have learned and grown and changed as a mother as I have watched (and helped) my children learn and change and grow.

I look at Joanna’s face in pictures taken at the hospital and remember the joy I felt when I asked the pediatrician if she had Down’s Syndrome. As he approached her bassinet and looked at her face he said, “Not Even Close!” without a pause. I was at peace with the Lord’s plan for us more then than I think I’ve ever been, but that doesn’t diminish the joy I felt that she and we were bound for a different path.

Joanna continues to be a joy in our lives. She is a sweetheart and has a special bond with each of her siblings that I love to watch. Katherine especially has a great relationship with her and they have met important needs for each other. At the same time, she brings out a softness in Michael that we seldom see except in his interactions with Joanna. Sarah is a great mother hen to the littler two. She sits them down and reads to them, teaches them school, or organizes them into other play. Now that Joanna and Matthew are the only two home in the mornings, they have become great little buddies as well. Matthew will often send her on errands to come and tell me something and she does his bidding.

What is Joanna like now?

Light on her feet and does Twinkle Toes all over
Talking all the time
Easy to get singing and loves the dancing flags
Still sucks two fingers and holds a fleece blanket on her way to sleep
Loves stories
Won’t take “no” for an answer
Keeps track of where everyone in the family is all the time
Loves her nursery “class”
Loves Strawberry Ice Cream
Favorite Breakfast Cereal is “Raisin Brown”
Loves TV (sometimes she loves to watch it, she always loves the IDEA of watching it) especially our one Mickey Mouse show
Puts puzzles together every morning by her own choice
Is still a little short in the hair department
Always goes to bed and down for a nap without a fuss
Loves dogs and enjoys keeping a stuffed one tucked under her arm
Does her best to keep up with the rest
Is down right lovable!


She also gets mad whenever someone tells her it's her birthday soon (I don't know why)! But we hope she still has a fun day tomorrow.

No comments: