Friday we went to the temple. It was our Stake's monthly temple night. We've made it a priority to go on that night. The way our family has made it work for the past 12 years is to take the kids with us and switch off sessions. It has blessed our family greatly -- not only because of the blessings we receive from attending the temple, but also due to the time we've had to be 'unplugged' and away from the distractions of home. Last month we left the kids home, and James and I just went. That was nice too, and I'm sure that will start to happen more as the kids get older and busier. But this month I wanted to go as a family again. I had one child who was quite resistant to the idea. And in many ways I can't blame this child. It is an almost 8 hour trip with 3-4 hours spent in the car. But to my surprise, as I came out of the temple I was met by that child thanking me for making the kids come. It had already been fun and 'worth it'. On the way home when it became clear that the kids weren't going to fall asleep, we had a great time finding stars out the window, singing and improvising, and telling stories. It was one of the funnest car rides I can remember. I love my husband who has always made temple trips happen even when I've dragged my feet. I love my kids for being good sports and awesome people. And I love the temple for the chance it gives us to spend time as a family now and the promise it gives us that we can be together as a family forever.
We haven't taken pictures at the temple for a while, and I wanted to have one. But I do the first session and the sun would be long gone by the time I was done. So I asked James to take one while I hustled into the temple. I told him I'd be happy with shots of them one and two at a time if it was too much to ask to have everyone stand nicely beside each other and smile. The sun was setting, but he and Katherine and the rest of the kids worked together and got some great shots.

No comments:
Post a Comment