I feel guilty about lots of little things all the time -- and it drives James nuts! So today while I was feeling guilty about eating the hot dog, I thought of him and smiled.
James is stuck in Missouri because his flight was canceled yesterday due to weather. In fact, the whole airport was closed all day yesterday. So here I sit with a sick child, eating his hot dog, missing him, and feeling guilty. Yesterday I had a very busy day, and knowing that James wouldn't be here to help, I fed the kids Macaroni and Cheese with Oscar Mayer hot dogs for dinner. Yes, I probably should feel guilt over that choice, but for good or for bad that is not where my guilt lies :)
Even though it was a meal I was sure the kids would inhale, they didn't eat as much as normal so I had leftovers. No one here really likes leftover Mac 'n Cheese. Everyone (usually) loves it the first time around, but not the second. So for lunch today I decided to "take one for the team" and eat the left over Mac 'n Cheese. Then followed the debate -- should I eat the extra hot dog too? One of James's biggest comfort foods is Oscar Mayer hot dogs. I haven't been buying hot dogs lately, but now there was one left just for him -- except he wasn't here to eat it. And . . . I was going to eat the leftover Mac 'n Cheese which tastes much better with a hot dog on the side (or mixed in). But I thought of poor James not getting to eat that hot dog if I did. I then thought of the reports I've had of the food he is eating (courtesy of work) -- fajitas, London broil, etc. and thought maybe he'd be o.k. with my choice to eat the hot dog. But then I wanted him to feel loved when he got home, and how better to do that than give him a hot dog? Back and forth I went until I finally ate the hot dog -- there's no going back now. I'm sure James will be o.k. with my decision -- and if I didn't write about it, he'd never even have to know! But it's funny what things remind us of those we love -- and what things make us feel guilty!

No comments:
Post a Comment