Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Preschool

Nine months ago we decided to let Matthew start preschool through the Early Childhood Program at the school. That is what the district was offering to help with Matthew's speech. He'd get preschool 4 afternoons a week with 1/2 hour a week with a Speech Therapist. It sounded great -- except he was just 3, taking a nap EVERY day still, and wasn't potty-trained. There was also the consideration that 14 out of the 16 kids in his class didn't speak English at the beginning of the year so class was taught in Spanish for the first several months and translated into English when needed. (And how was this going to help him learn to speak?) In many ways it seemed like too much for my little guy.


Well we gave it a go anyway and in the end he has a great experience and he has learned to speak and so much more! He loves his teachers and has made many friends. The only downside is that he comes home exhausted most days. In this picture I had asked him to go upstairs and get something. After a few minutes I realized I hadn't heard from him so I went to find him and this is how he was -- sound asleep!

Mounting the stairs was just too much!

1 comment: