
This past week I left my family here and traveled to South Carolina to be with my brother and his family. Their son, Kevyns, passed away after an amazing life filled with love, fun, laughter, deep thoughts, and a heart condition. Kevyns was an amazing young man who was not defined by the heart condition that he had since birth. I think that is what amazes me most about Kevyns is that he was so 'normal' after all that he had been through. He was 'normal' in his love to be outdoors and enjoying life. He loved video games, LEGOs, and girls (among other things). He was abnormal in the maturity with which he faced his challenges and his faith.
It was a challenge for me to leave my family here -- especially when the fragility of mortality seemed so real. But it was such a blessing to get to be there. I had experiences in South Carolina that I will treasure for the rest of my life. We will be forever grateful for the people in S. Carolina who have taken their family in and treat them like family. It means so much to us who wish we could have done more, but are so grateful that there are those there filling in in our behalf. I come home wanting to treasure the family I have more and serve others the way that we and they have been served.
2 comments:
I'm guessing this is John's boy. Please, let them know they are in my prayers. John has affected my life many times, in ways even he doesn't know. Give him our love! (I guess if it's not John's boy- you can still let them know we're thinking about them. :) )
Hi Carol--If you're wondering who this is, it's Sue Isaacson Rees. I am so sorry for John and Valerie, we have been praying for them, your parents, your whole family. The thoughts I've read from you and Miriam and Greg about Kevyns' life and passing don't suprise me, but it's still hard. How nice to think of him as a missionary, and how nice to know and feel of eternity.
Post a Comment