Monday, March 29, 2010

Sweedeeps' Restaurant

Christmas is never really Christmas for me without some 'love gifts'. I'm trying to change that idea in my head so that I can simplify the season -- but not this past year. I have never gotten around to blogging this year's love gifts (or much of the holiday at all). So while James is working late into the night trying to meet a deadline I thought I'd blog our favorite.

Without knowing what a 'craze' it really is, I discovered felt food and went to work this Christmas making it for my kids. I had made felt pizzas and toppings last Christmas which were a hit, so I thought these would also be popular. I talked to my mom about it and she (bless her heart) was willing to make desserts. She did all of the fabulous desserts that you'll have to check out in the menu because I don't have the individual pictures handy. I used a few tutorials, but mostly just worked from scratch making food.









I knew my older kids and every one would engage better in playing with the food if there was a little more to it than 'just' food. So we turned it into Sweedeeps' Restaurant. I made menu pads that had little pictures of all of the menu options so that even the non-readers could mark orders. I also made menus that were color printed front and back, laminated, and folded into thirds like a 'real' menu. My mom found some nice napkins and some restaurant like plates, silver (at least in color) silver ware, and restaurant glasses. She also got white towels for the waiters to wear on their arms.

The kids loved it and continue to love it. We have all ordered so much food and so many orders have been taken. It's been great! Definitely labor intensive, but long lasting fun.


This is the order pad. I just quickly drew all of the pictures in Paint and then copied them to Photoshop to make the pad. My parents (since I ran out of time) took it to the copy store and had them make 25 copies, cut it in quarters, and make each quarter into a notepad with a gummy top and a light-weight cardboard back.



Here are the front and back of the menu (also created in Photoshop). Make sure you enlarge it to see the 'sprinkles' on the donuts, the roses on the eclairs, the cake rolls and other delightful desserts we get to order! My parents also took care of the printing and laminating of this. They found out that there is a 'soft' laminate that allows for folding better. It has worked like a charm. (Remember it copies front and back and then folds in thirds.)
Thanks to a great Grandma and Grandpa for helping it all come to pass.

No comments: